Saturday, October 18, 2008

Because Kara Asked

Kara requested more blogging, so I'm giving her what she asked for because she is wonderful, and because I really should post more. Having a normal schedule continues to be wonderful. It is great to not feel like all of my waking hours are spent doing work.

I started a pottery class last week at a real studio, Hinckley Pottery in Adams Morgan. One quirky thing about the studio is that purely handbuilt items are frowned upon, at least, that is what my teacher tells me. I'm not sure why. The facilities are very nice, though, and the equipment is well taken care of. They also have porcelain, maybe one day, when I am a better potter, I will try it out.

I've been browsing around Etsy a lot getting ideas and inspiration. There are some amazing potters there. Some of the pieces that have stuck with me are below.

Laurel Begley makes beautiful pieces. I bought the bird dish below for my bedside table. It is perfect for my glasses and other small things.




Kim Westad does beautiful things with thrown and altered pieces.



Amanda Ryznar of YogaGoat Pottery makes colorful, bold, carved items.


So much inspiration, so little time in the studio. And this is just other pottery that I find inspiring. Don't get me started on what I see in nature.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! And thank you! I would love to get back into clay, but tattooing has an element to it that gets under yr skin...haha. love you thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much!

Unknown said...

MOOOOOORE! MOORE! MORE!
love, your insatible public