Friday, July 25, 2008

Dye Another Day

I couldn't resist the title. Blame my DH. He's the one who makes puns all the time.

Today I tried Kool Aid dyeing for the first time. I washed the yarn in Soak and let the excess water drip away. Then I started with Orange and Cherry Kool Aid. One in each of my large Pyrex measuring cups. Having never done this before, I didn't get enough Kool Aid. While the lighter colors were pretty, I was looking for something with a little more oomph. So I took out my cake kit and pulled the orange and red icing gels.

As I was mixing and using the Kool Aid, I had no problem keeping clean. It is another story now. My finger tips and nails are currently an unnatural, Oompah Loompah shade of orange. I had mixed up some orange and I didn't notice a lump of color gel in the solution when it was in my mixing cup. I did notice it when I dumped it in the dye bath and wanted to get it out before my yarn became blotchy. Without thinking, I grabbed part of the yarn with one hand, and dunked my other hand into the dye bath. When I realized what I had done, I washed my hands a few times in a row to get as much off as I could. Unfortunately, I'm still Oompah-Loompah-fied.

I hope the yarn turns out to be self-striping like I planned.

No comments: